Things to Do In New Jersey – Washington Crossing State Park
History buffs and outdoor enthusiasts alike will love all the things to do and see at Washington Crossing State Park. Located on the banks of the Delaware River in Titusville, New Jersey, this New Jersey State Park is the starting point for one of the most pivotal moments in American history. After crossing the icy Delaware into New Jersey on Christmas night in 1776, General George Washington and the Continental Army landed here and began their march to Trenton where the battle that turned the tide of the American Revolution occurred. Originally preserved by the state of New Jersey as a historic site, this park offers tons of things to do. Here’s a sampling…
1. Visit the Johnson Ferry House (where Washington and his officers gathered to discuss strategy on the night of the crossing) and the Visitor Center Museum, which spotlights “The Ten Crucial Days” in American history (including Washington’s crossing of the Delaware and the Battles at Trenton and Princeton). Also of historic interest is the Nelson House, the surviving structure of a 19th century hotel located along the banks of the Delaware.
2. The Nature Center features interactive exhibits spotlighting the various species of flora and fauna found in and around the park, as well as live animals and even a working beehive (glass enclosed so no worries about bee stings!).
3. Hike, bike, jog, or go horseback riding on the 15 miles of trails that can be found throughout the park.
4. Take in a live performance at the Open Air Theatre which features plays and musicals for children and adults, as well as live concerts.
5. Participate in one of the many educational and recreational programs offered by New Jersey state park staff and volunteers, including such events as raft-building, recreational kayaking, guided night hikes, geocaching, colonial cooking demonstrations, military reenactments, and more!
For more information on things to do at Washington Crossing State Park, visit the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry website. The park is open daily from 8am to 8pm, although hours for the historic buildings and nature center vary. Call (609-737-0623 park office center / 609-737-0609 – nature center) or check the website for more details. Check out the park’s newsletter, Nature’s Grapevine, for a full listing of seasonal events and things to do at Washington Crossing State Park.
Washington Crossing State Park is located at 355 Washington Crossing-Pennington Road in Titusville, New Jersey.
Other things to do in the area include: