Tenafly Nature Center offers fun and educational things to do for children and adults alike.
In a quiet wooded area nestled in busy Bergen County, New Jersey, lies a peaceful haven for humans and animals alike. The Tenafly Nature Center preserves and maintains nearly 400 acres of natural habitat in the midst of the busy metropolis that is northern New Jersey. It is a tranquil setting in which to reconnect with nature and a great place to visit whether you have an hour to spend or an entire day.
More than seven miles of trails wind through the Tenafly Nature Center, providing visitors with a wonderful way to discover the habitat that native New Jersey plants and animals call home. Take a short 10 minute walk to Pfister’s Pond (a perfect beginners “hike” for small children) or spend several hours hiking the well-marked network of trails. Along the way, you’ll see a wide variety of plants ranging from young American Chestnut trees (the TNC has partnered with the Garden Club of Englewood and the American Chestnut Foundation to preserve this endangered species) to majestic Red Maple trees to delicate ferns and wildflowers to tiny fungi and lichens. Countless species of birds live here or pass through on their annual migratory trek, some stopping to nest. Many other animals can be seen here too; if you’re lucky you may spot a red fox, white-tailed deer, or even a southern flying squirrel!
Other things to do at the Tenafly Nature Center include exploring the small natural history museum housed within the Visitors Center, relaxing in the nature center’s Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat, visiting resident birds of prey at the aviary, and checking out the salamander and amphibian pond. The nature center also hosts fun and educational things to do such as guided nature walks, children’s programs for kids ranging in age from preschoolers to preteens, seasonal celebrations such as autumn apple cidering and a Haunted Forest hike (not actually scary), and educational programs for adults on topics like composting, beekeeping, and more.
Things to know:
- The Tenafly Nature Center is located in Bergen County, New Jersey at 313 Hudson Avenue in Tenafly.
- Visit the Tenafly Nature Center online (or call 201-568-6093) for more information including directions and information on things to do at the nature center.
- Trails are open 7 days a week from dawn to dusk; the Visitors Center is open weekdays: from 9am to 5pm and weekends from 11am to 4pm.
- There is no charge for self-guided visits; some programs require registration and a fee.
- Groups of 10 or more participants are asked to contact the nature center prior to their visit.
- No pets are permitted.
- No bikes or strollers are permitted beyond the parking area.
Other things to do near Tenafly, New Jersey include: